Celebrating 25 years since Bugs Bunny and the Tune Squad defeated the Monstars in an epic basketball showdown, WarnerMedia Global Brands and Experiences has announced a collection of 90s-inspired merchandise, an upcoming NFT drop, an all-new digital comic from DC, and more to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Space Jam.
The iconic film’s silver anniversary follows the global release of Warner Bros. Pictures’ animated/live action film Space Jam: A New Legacy earlier this year, which debuted at the top of the box office and scored the biggest opening for a family film earlier this year. Now streaming audiences can also view the original film at home with family and friends on HBO Max, where a new generation of fans can experience the frenetic, fun mashup adventure.
“Space Jam was the iconic film moment of 1996, and its cultural impact is undeniable. Today, it continues to spark nostalgia and excitement for millennials who were kids when it debuted, and that fervour has been passed to a new generation with the release of Space Jam: A New Legacy,” says Josh Hackbarth, Vice President of Franchise Development, WarnerMedia Global Brands and Experiences. “We are pleased to celebrate the movie’s many groundbreaking achievements in ticket sales, merchandising, music, theme and design. Its legacy continues to live on with kids and families still enjoying everything that is Space Jam.”
Debuting on 15 November 1996, the original Space Jam earned $230M at the box office at launch and became the No. 1 grossing basketball film of all time, influencing everything from fast food to fashion and redefining movie merchandising. Its soundtrack was a best-seller and went platinum six times.
The film was also one of the first to have a dedicated promotional website. Today, www.SpaceJam.com/1996 remains untouched, an homage to the early internet and a testament to the brand’s enduring appeal to audiences across numerous generations.
Inviting fans everywhere to join the jam and celebrate this iconic film, the “Space Jam” 25th anniversary offerings include:
- NTWRK’s “Space Jam 96” fashion collection, launching on 15 November. The collection includes new “Space Jam” rugs by Rugtomize, along with an exclusive “Space Jam” print designed by artist Aaron Kai.
- Warner Bros.’ Looney Tunes Shop is offering fans a variety of all-new “Space Jam” inspired apparel by unveiling the fourth drop in its popular ACME Intern collection, featuring original designs inspired by the film. Among the must-have items, fans can purchase a t-shirt with artwork of the original Space Jam website’s homepage.
- House of Highlights, the No 1 digital media brand for Gen Z and part of the Bleacher Report brand portfolio, has unveiled a collaboration with DOC (Dustin O. Canalin) in honour of the Space Jam 25th Anniversary. House of Highlights’ brand new Space Jam collection showcases the Looney Tunes reimagining some of the most iconic moments in basketball history.
- DJ Steve Aoki’s fashion and music label, Dim Mak, recently launched “Dim Mak x Space Jam 96,” a limited-edition streetwear capsule featuring 90s-inspired tees and hoodies in bright tie-dyes and featuring the Looney Tunes squad.
- Comic book fans can also download a free Space Jam 25th anniversary comic book from DC, as highlighted by Warner Bros.’ Looney Tunes Shop, on the Stellar Souvenirs page of the original Space Jam
- Nifty’s“Starting 5” Challenge will let fans own a special piece of Space Jam Beginning on 15 November, Nifty’s will encourage fans to collect as many Tune Squad or Goon Squad NFT’s from Space Jam: A New Legacy as they can before 13 January, 2022. Collectors who hold five or more NFT’s on 14 January, 2022 will be eligible to receive a limited edition Monstar NFT. Each of the Monstars will have their own unique NFT, totalling five designs. For every five Tune Squad or Goon Squad NFT’s a user holds (each NFT must feature an individual player on either team), they will be eligible for a Monstar NFT.
- Fans can also enjoy iconic 90s tunes when they purchase the recently reissued vinyl edition of the multi-platinum soundtrack “Space Jam (Music from and Inspired by the Motion Picture)”, released by Rhino Entertainment..
Space Jam is currently available on Digital and 4K Ultra HD via Warner Bros. Home Entertainment. The film also received a special 25th anniversary DVD and Blu Ray release earlier this year, and an exclusive Space Jam double feature box set is at retail nationwide.