MGM has announced the kick-off of iconic movie Rocky‘s 45th anniversary celebration with a robust line-up of live events, gaming, and merchandise.
The Rocky franchise has remained a global phenomenon thanks to its universally relatable themes: ambition, passion, determination and giving it your all to be a champion, even when the odds are against you. MGM’s Rocky and Creed films have generated more than $1.3 billion in worldwide box-office sales, three Academy Awards, and ten nominations.
To celebrate the 45th anniversary, a number of live events and activations have been planned for the end of 2021 through 2022, including Rocky-themed athletic runs, in-theatre events, as well as merchandise and new gaming collaborations. The Rocky licensing programme features 70 licensees covering the following categories of goods: Apparel, Accessories, Collectibles, Toy, Gaming, Gift & Novelty, Home, Interactive (console and AR/VR), Costumes/Cos-Play, Events, Publishing, and Stationery. Products will be available throughout North America, Latin and South America, Europe, the Middle East and Asia.
The festivities kicked off in Philadelphia on Thursday with a special screening event of Sylvester Stallone’s ROCKY VS. DRAGO: THE ULTIMATE DIRECTOR’S CUT, and next up is the “Rocky Run,” a 5K, 10 mile, and 13.1 mile run scheduled for 13 November. For fans who can’t make it to Rocky’s hometown, ROCKY V. DRAGO has also been released in other select cinemas nationwide in partnership with Fathom Events, and is available on demand and digitally everywhere from today. Fans can also participate in a virtual “Rocky Run” called the “Rocky Challenge” through 31 December.
Beyond these events, MGM is collaborating with a number of partners including Foot Locker x Diodora, Olympia Le-Tan, Fanattik, and Funko to bring an extensive line-up of merchandise to fans of all ages. The programme includes:
- Foot Locker x Diodora: for the sneaker obsessed! Inspired by characters in the Rocky franchise, Foot Locker, Inc. and Diadora are launching an exclusive new sneaker collection–and you can only find it at the Foot Locker, Inc., family of brands starting this November.
- Olympia Le-Tan: a brand new, stylish clutch from the celebrated designer featuring the re-imagined iconic poster art of the Rocky film.
- Contenders: stylish Rocky hoodies and tees featuring the art of the film.
- Creed: Big Rumble Boxing: a brand-new console/pc game. Fight as Adonis Creed, Rocky Balboa, and a complete roster of legends from the Creed and Rocky franchise, including Apollo Creed, Ivan & Viktor Drago, and Clubber Lang. Live out classic Creed and Rocky training moments in thematic mini games.
- Funko: to celebrate the 45th anniversary, Funko is releasing Pop figures based on Rocky Balboa and Apollo Creed. The figures depict Rocky and Apollo as they appeared in their heavyweight bout–Apollo in his star-spangled trunks and Rocky sporting his white trunks and swollen eye that inspired the famous line “Cut Me, Mick.” Pre-orders are available at Entertainment Earth and the figures will release in January.
- Rocky Limited Editions 24K Gold Plated Bicentennial Superfight Ticket: from Fanattik, fans can score an individually numbered ticket to Rocky Balboa vs. Apollo Creed at the Philadephia Spectrum.
Additional Live Activations:
- Rocky in Concert: launching with TCG Entertainment in 2022, the Rocky in Concert series will include six musical events for each of six films in the original franchise, beginning with Rocky. Audiences will be able to hear the iconic music from the films performed live by a full orchestra, while watching the movies on larger-than-life Screens.
- Bounce app: Fans of the franchise will also be able to download the all-new “Rocky Tour Experience” on the Bounce app, an immersive and unique submersion into the city of Philadelphia offering first-hand experiences at key landmarks from Rocky’s own hometown. Available Nov. 21, Rocky fans can test their trivia knowledge, see behind-the-scenes details and enjoy the City of Brotherly Love through a user-friendly, engaging and fun app companion.
Robert Marick, MGM’s Executive Vice President Global Consumer Products and Experiences, says: “Rocky is a timeless property that continues to appeal to new generations of fans with its inspirational message. We are excited to celebrate the 45th anniversary with a stellar line up of partners that we are sure will delight devotees of the franchise young and old, and invite new fans to discover the stories of this iconic franchise.”
The Rocky 45th anniversary celebration will continue through 2022 with additional partnerships rolling out through end of year and into next year.