MGM Consumer Products announced today that it will host its third annual virtual licensing summit on 3 May, following up on the success of the previous year’s event. Upcoming initiatives and sneak peeks will be unveiled for iconic brands including Pink Panther, Wednesday, Creed III, Vikings: Valhalla and more.
In addition, MGM plans to discuss how the studio’s licensing division is building out its popular sci-fi and horror portfolios and reimagining those categories with the expansion of Midnite Movies and the introduction of Sci- Fi Stories. MGM will also spotlight several other iconic properties, including Pink Panther’s 60th anniversary and the expansion of licensing programmes around Creed III, Wednesday and Vikings: Valhalla tied to recent and upcoming series and movie debuts.
MGM continues to evolve and expand its strategy around an extensive roster of licensees and other strategic partnerships in apparel, accessories, gaming, home and collectible categories, as well as live events and location-based experiences. During the presentation, attendees will get an overview of the breakout events and anniversaries that lie ahead, opportunities for collaboration, and some special announcements. Brands that will be presented during the virtual event include:
- Creed III Creed is in the spotlight this year with the highly anticipated third installment, starring Michael B. Jordan in his directorial debut, set to hit cinemas on November 23, 2022. The MGM team is actively building a licensing programme around the tentpole after its success with the VR game, Creed Rise to Glory and the recently launched console game, Big Rumble Boxing: Creed Champions.
- Vikings: Valhalla Following the immense success of Vikings, which transported viewers through the epic adventures of the world of Viking warrior Ragnar Lothbrok, with the series reaching an incredible 625 million cumulative views across its six seasons and 89 episodes, MGM Television’s Vikings: Valhalla is the newest chapter to thrill the franchise’s army of fans. Set 100 years after the original series, the heart-pounding, unstoppable action dramatically tells the story of family, loyalty, power and the most famous vikings who ever lived: Leif Erikson, Freydis, Harald Harada and Norman King William the Conqueror. Vikings: Valhalla Season One premiered February 25 and ranked #1 on the Netflix Top 10 for the week of 2/28/2022 with 113.38M hours viewed, making the Top 10 in 90 countries. Stemming off that success, MGM has exciting plans in the works for the new Vikings: Valhalla licensing programme, including apparel and accessories from Hot Topic, C&A Modas, Marketing Licensed Products, Hybris Productions, TatooedNow!, Nastrovje and Ecell Global. Viking inspired costumes are also available from Fungilobal Development, along with collectibles, toys/games and decor from GB Eye and Winning Moves International.
- Wednesday and The Addams Family The Addams Family’s appeal spans generations with fans loving the timeless theme song and relating to the diverse cast of characters in their multigenerational family. Later this year, the new Netflix series, Wednesday, is set to debut and is focused on the beloved character Wednesday, with Tim Burton as director. Wednesday follows Wednesday Addams’ misadventures as a student at Nevermore Academy, a very unique boarding school in New England. This series introduces Wednesday not only in a new boarding school environment, but also as a teenager, where she attempts to master her emerging psychic ability, thwart a monstrous killing spree that has terrorized the local town, and solve the supernatural mystery that embroiled her parents 25 years ago – all while navigating her new and very tangled relationships at Nevermore. Wednesday and The Addams Family offer unique opportunities for licensing and merchandising and MGM will look to expand everyone’s favourite Halloween family into a year round seasonal programme.
- Pink Panther MGM’s iconic character, Pink Panther, started life nearly 60 years ago in the front and end credits of the legendary detective series of the same name. Its popularity spawned TV series, specials, comics, merchandise and has even become associated with the colour pink worldwide. In 2020, MGM unveiled a brand-new shade of pink with Pantone for the beloved character, Pink Panther pink, which is a vibrant hue with undertones of blue and yellow, embodying the character’s famously smooth style that has helped to establish his place in the larger cultural zeitgeist. With a new colour tone, and a film in development, MGM is taking Pink Panther to exciting new heights and will be discussing special moments planned for 2023, including the first annual Pink Panther Month in June, ahead of its 60th anniversary in 2024, with a roster of new and first-time partners, as well as opportunities across merchandising, gaming, and other licensing categories.
- MGM Horror Portfolio MGM has one of the most sought-after horror libraries and the studio’s unique “Midnite Movies” umbrella branding provides licensing opportunities featuring retro-style designs inspired by MGMs cult classic gems including Killer Klowns from Outer Space. In addition to their expansive plans around “Midnite Movies,” the team also has plans heading into the next year around unique retail activations, robust merchandising, gaming products and more tied to their large portfolio of iconic films including Carrie, Poltergeist, Silence of the Lambs, Teen Wolf, and Amityville Horror. While MGM has a vast collection of classics, it also has newer breakout hits and upcoming debuts including recent box office hit Candyman, which earned nearly $60M in box office ticket sales, as well as Jeepers Creepers and Army of Darkness.
- The Launch of Sci-Fi Stories, Robocop 35th Anniversary, + The Expansion for the Sci-Fi Portfolio New for 2022, MGM’s licensing team is introducing a new umbrella brand called Sci-Fi Stories, including beloved hits like Robocop, Stargate SG-1, War Games, Cyborg, Species and Outer Limits. With Sci-Fi Stories, MGM aimes to partner with licensees to build out programmes that not only have nostalgic appeal for fans who grew up with the franchises, but also introduce this treasure trove of content to a new generation of fans. Among the properties in the Sci-Fi Stories collection is Robocop, one of Hollywood’s most iconic film franchises, with five films that transcend pop culture and IP with a strong legacy in the gaming space. Robocop is celebrating its 35th anniversary this year and continues to appeal to fans globally through a robust consumer products and licensing programme, along with timeless movies that introduced this pop culture phenomenon. Additionally, Stargate-SG1, which has captured the imaginations of sci-fi lovers and inspired legions of fans around the world, is turning 25 this year, and MGM is leaning into the gaming category for this property with recent launches of highly anticipated titles including Stargate: Timekeepers and Astrokings x Stargate. Beyond Stargate-SG1 and Robocop, MGM will be building out programs around the Sci-Fi Stories brand and the amazing IP within the portfolio.
- Rocky The Rocky franchise has remained a global phenomenon because it presents moviegoers with universally relatable themes – ambition, passion, determination and giving it your all to be a champion, even when the odds are against you. MGM’s Rocky and Creed films have generated more than $1.3 billion in worldwide box-office sales, three Academy Awards, and 10 nominations. In addition, the Rocky franchise kicked off its 45th anniversary in November 2021 with a number of activations and new products set to roll out over the year, including a movie-themed concert series from TCG Entertainment, Rocky Tour Experience with the Bounce app, and Rocky-themed athletic run. Exciting new merchandise will also be available throughout the year, including footwear from Foot Locker x Diodoro, a stylish clutch from Olympia LeTan, Rocky apparel from Contenders, a new video game, Creed: Big Rumble Boxing, and collectibles from Funko and Fanatics.
- Legally Blonde The box-office smash continues to resonate with new fans, and with Legally Blonde marking its 21st anniversary in 2022, MGM has planned a Legally Blonde Turns 21 licensing celebration built around the movie’s key tenets: empowerment, education, humour, and pink fashion. MGM has some exciting licensees on board, such as Olympia Le Tan, Park Agencies and Funko, and will also be launching a movie-themed concert tour later this year with TCG Entertainment to celebrate the fun music of this widely loved franchise. In addition, the first ever Legally Blonde mobile game will launch this year, combining puzzle and choice-based narrative mechanics with the empowering themes and positive messages of the films. Legally Blonde is also set to return to the big screen with Mindy Kaling and Dan Goor co-writing the script for the film’s third iteration, Legally Blonde 3, which will see Reese Witherspoon reprise her role as the beloved Elle Woods.
- Reimagination of the MGM Logo– In 2021, MGM’s logo got a CGI makeover reimagining the beloved “Leo the Lion” for a new generation. The team decided to reimagine the logo in anticipation of MGM’s 100th anniversary in 2024. The new logo leans into the history of MGM’s iconic portfolio, while also giving the brand a fresh, modernised look. It has already inspired several new lifestyle guides starting this year with the MGM Trademark Licensing programme. MGM will continue to grow their robust licensing program around the new logo, which in the past has included deals with popular fashion brands like Zara and H&M.
Robert Marick, Executive Vice President, MGM Global Consumer Products & Experiences, says: “MGM’s iconic roster of properties have resonated with generations and continues to be at the forefront of pop culture. We are always looking for new and exciting ways to connect with fans and build licensing programs and partners that bring these beloved stories to life.”
MGM is looking to continue to grow the brand’s licensing portfolio across multiple categories including collectibles, publishing, games, interactive, and more. For more information on the Licensing Summit, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.