Seven of this year’s top picks for Christmas are licensed, while the selection made by Tesco’s toy experts also focuses strongly on affordability.
Announcing its list as ‘great news for parents’, Tesco says its buyers have selected 10 top toys for Christmas that offer affordability as well as excellent play value. The retailer notes that demand for electronic toys has recently pushed the average price of a main Christmas gift for youngsters up to between £60 and £90. However, Tesco’s toy experts have chosen their top 10 based not only on current popularity and desirability but price too, to help parents during current cost of living challenges.
The toys are not given in any particular order, though Tesco has highlighted one popular brand it expects to create the ‘wow’ factor this Christmas – the Pokémon Sword and Shield Astral Elite Trainer Box. The product goes on sale in early November and is expected to be on many kids’ wish lists. Proving licensed toys can still be had for attractive prices, the list spans no less than seven top properties, from pre-school hits CoComelon and Miraculous to evergreen classics such as Batman and Barbie.
Tesco Toys category manager Anne Borrett said: “We know times are really hard out there at the moment, so our team of toy experts has created a Top 10 list based on a number of factors that will not only put a smile on kids’ faces but also their parents’ and carers’ too. Over the last few years we’ve seen a lot of more expensive, hi-tech toys dominate the Christmas market. In this year’s list there are toys for all budgets, but more than half of them are priced between £30 and £45.”
Tesco’s Top 10 toys for this Christmas (with the retailer’s pricing) are as follows:
- Pokémon Sword and Shield Astral Radiance Elite Trainer Box (The Pokémon Company) – £42.50
- Barbie Chelsea Playhouse (Mattel) – £60
- Miraculous Switch N’ Go Scooter (Bandai) – £43
- Zuru Smashers Dino Island Giant Skull (Zuru) – £37
- Lego Super Heroes – I Am Groot (The Lego Group) – £45
- Marvel Studios 3D Puzzle – Iron Man’s Helmet (University Games) – £30
- CoComelon Boo Boo JJ Doll (Bandai) – £43
- Lego Super Hereos Batmobile (The Lego Group) – £90
- Fisher Price DJ Bouncin’ Beats (Mattel) – £45
- Squishmallows 7.5” Plush (Jazwares) – £9